Friday, August 24, 2012

chapter [ thirteen]: Branching Out

I've had this blog for a while now, but I don't really think I'm very blog savvy.  I don't link, label or post photos.  I just type my thoughts.  However, with the new school year beginning, and the fact that I feel like a whole new person (thank you, LORD!) I've decided now is a good time to branch out.  Please bear with me. :)

This is the progression of my healing incision/scar and growth of my reverse mullet. :). Sorry if you think these are gross.  I know they are, but in a way I think they are beautiful because they are a visual testimony of how God healed me, and how thankful I am to have my life back, and how even though things were bad, they could have been much worse.



Top left: This is right after my bandage was removed 2 days post op. Yes, that is ink on my head.  Right before surgery, as my "happy cocktail" was kicking in, I asked my neurosurgeon to shave a lightning bolt design into the back of my head.  *Next time I'll have to ask before I get the "happy cocktail" so he knows I'm being serious. 
Top right: 2 weeks post op. I was really happy to get rid of the stitches! They itched like crazy!  My incision was swollen.  It felt like I had a worm under my skin.  It was pretty disgusting. 
Bottom left:  5 weeks post op.  It was at this point I was seriously considering shaving my whole head. I was very concerned that my new hair was growing in straight and wasn't going to match my natural curls.  I like being able to wear my hair curly or straight. However I'm only wearing it one way at a time.  
Bottom right: 8 weeks post op.  See how it's wavy/curly? Really glad I decided against the whole shaving my entire head idea.  Whew!  With the help of time and Mederma Advanced Scar Gel my scar is diminishing.  I'm still pretty self conscious about it, though.  :-/
*pretty sure their won't be a "next time." woo hoo!

Since my reverse mullet is starting to grow in, I decided it was going take forever for my new hair to catch up with my old hair.  I decided to set a shorter goal for my new hair growth.  Thus, this happened...


I haven't completely adjusted to having short hair, but it's growing on me. (ha! get it?!) I'm going to blame my corny jokes on my neurological disorder even though telling corny jokes isn't a side effect.   




No comments:

Post a Comment