Wednesday, April 7, 2010

chapter [seven]: expectations

Nick Hornby writes books I love to read.
These books are usually made into movies I love to watch.
I'm never disappointed in either.
The movies usually stay as close to the book as possible and I don't get too upset when they follow different paths.
I've read most of his books.
He wrote a book for teens which I started and may finish one day.
He wrote another book that makes me too depressed, so I'm averaging a chapter a year.

And he wrote Fever Pitch.

I've heard and read that FP is the Hornby book.
It is also nothing like the movie.
Although, I understand why a book about a losing football (soccer) team was changed to be about the BoSox to appeal to an American audience.
I have the greatest of expectations about FP.
Which is why it still sits on my bookshelf, untouched.
Not only that, I've actually bought and read other books penned by Nick and read them while FP sits and collects dust.
Occasionally I take it off of the shelf, read the back of the book as though I have no idea what the basic plot line is, sigh, and place back in it's spot.

And all of this nonsense got me thinking, which is somewhat dangerous, about my expectations in and about life.

I know some of them are unrealistic.
I replied to something Kevin Max said on twitter and I expect (translation: am totally dreaming) for him to reply to me.
:)
I expect that I will win millions in the lottery one day, although I should probably start playing first.

Some of my expectations aren't that shocking.
I expect that my hair will be a massive ball of frizzy on rainy days.
I expect that my tummy will tingle when I drive down the Lindberg overpass in just the right way.
I expect that I will eat delicious, trans fat free, high fructose corn syrup free, artificial dye free food from Jason's deli at least once a week.

Some of my expectations are just that.
And will remain just that.

And then there are the expectations I have deep in my heart.
And the fear of these expectations remaining expectations is more than I can bear.
Yet, these expectations scare me to death!
Perhaps my fear of my great FP expectations is a reflection of my fear of my great life expectations.

hmmmm....

that is enough for now.
perhaps I will read...


No comments:

Post a Comment